A dozen bits about me:
- According to my birth certificate I was born in the district of Leith, the City of Edinburgh at 3.40 pm on the 13th of June. I share my birthday with W.B. Yeats Irish Poet and Dramatist, and James Clerk Maxwell Physicist, also born in Edinburgh, among others.
- I knew from the age of ten that I wanted to write. I write poetry, children’s stories, I love to write about travel and food but my passion is fiction. “Shoeless Cinderella and the Paparazzi” a modern fairy story, published on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00EBUTMY0
- I am a Scot, who studied English literature at the University of Wales, Lampeter. When I was there it was St David’s University College, it has had a few name changes since then.
- I have been collecting quotes from books I read since university. I love when a writer expresses something so perfectly and succinctly; they are writers’ greatest teachers. One of my favourites is from the late PD James’, – “We who write in English are fortunate to have the richest and most versatile language in the world. Respect it.”
- I went to Spain for nine months and remained twenty-three years. I did return home for holidays with the family. It has had a profound influence on my life, especially as a foodie.
- As a fluent Spanish speaker, I compose poetry in both languages and all my poetry is now bilingual. Translating it into both languages proved a long arduous task but gave a great sense of satisfaction when completed. There is a selection of my poems on this blog.
- I lived In Madrid, San Sebastian, and twenty years in Logroño, capital of the Rioja wine region. I learnt to appreciate quality wine and food and this has inspired my foodie writing.
- Access to fresh fruit and vegetables while learning from local Riojan tradition; home conserving became a passionate hobby. I learnt to conserve tuna in oil, tomato passata, peaches, figs, and experiment with fusion flavour jams. It gives me great pleasure to give them as presents.
- My favourite dishes that I love to cook and eat are Calamares en su tinta (squid in sauce made from its own ink), Thai duck curry, Trinidad prawn curry, Mince and Tatties, (Scottish style minced beef with dumplings) and Moroccan tagines.
- I am a cat fan; perhaps I lived in ancient Egypt in a previous incarnation. However, I am spiritual and not religious.
- In 2011, I achieved a lifelong ambition to visit India. One of the many highlights of my trip was visiting Kanya Kumari, the southern most tip of India where the three seas meet. The seas being the Indian Ocean, the Bay of Bengal, and the Arabian Sea. At Kanya Kumari,
- In 2012, I trained as an Edinburgh tour guide, and since 2013, I have been conducting foodie tours for Eat Walk Edinburgh. http://www.eatwalkedinburgh.co.uk